Saturday 1 August 2015

Thing 5: Online Networks

Facebook and Twitter

I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook, I have family in Australia and the UK, and I love that I can see all their photos and keep in touch with them, but I hate that I am expected to make friends with nearly everyone I come into contact with, I have a long list of friend requests that I just haven't felt the need to accept!

I keep Facebook as private as possible, I currently only have two friends who are not family members. I have joined Rudaí23 and I've said hello - this is my first and only group membership, and I really don't see that changing anytime soon and I have liked very few pages.


Twitter is different, I like Twitter, though it has taken a while for me to be comfortable with using it and I was  a lurker for quite a while, and initially I keep my account private. I've tried a couple of times to tweet while at library events and seminars, but gave up because I couldn't concentrate on listening and tweeting at the same time, and felt that I was missing the point in being there in the first place by spending my time tweeting!

I'm looking forward to the #rudaí23chat, I have followed a few library chats, it is an interesting way to find out what other libraries and librarians are doing. I see Twitter as being another tool in the library collection, a way of communicating information and also to get feedback from library users.







1 comment:

  1. Hi

    I'm with you on the private nature of Facebook. I tend to only become friends with people that I've actually met in person at some stage. So, my friends list is relatively small (just over 100 people) compared to some of the accounts I see my students with (running to several hundred, even thousands of friends). I prefer to keep it small so that I only share things with (and see the posts of) people that really matter to me.

    I think we both view Twitter in the same way too. I like to follow certain hashtags (#edtech, #highered and of course #rudai23 are some of my favourites!), and people that I've met at conferences. I also follow a few celebrities like Stephen Fry, Graham Linehan and the QI Elves, because all work and no play.........

    Some people I've seen tweeting at conferences are so bust tweeting that they must be missing some of the nuances and theatrics of the speakers. What I tend to do at conferences is take a few pictures of interesting slides, and then tweet them out after the speaker has finished.

    The Rudai23 Team

    ReplyDelete