Tuesday 26 January 2016

Thing 13: Professional Organisations

I have been a member of the Library Association of Ireland for many years, probably from when I got my very first contract position, the librarian here where I work advises everybody to join a professional organisation, whether they are qualified or not, or, have a 'professional' position or not.

When I was studying for the postgraduate diploma in library and information studies via Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen I also joined CILIP as a student member, at the time I was planning to return to the UK due to family circumstances and thought it would look good on the CV, and also as I was studying at the time membership gives you access to many library journals, as it happened I didn't need to decamp, but I have kept up my membership.

Last year I started looking into becoming an Associate of the LAI, but I really just haven't had the time to follow through on it yet! Initially I thought you had to hold a professional post to attain associateship, but once you are a member in good standing I think you can apply at any point in your career.


1 comment: