Friday 29 January 2016

Think 14: Augmented Reality

I downloaded the Layar app on my phone  a while ago and have used it a couple to times to access various ad campaigns and competitions.

I remember going a HEA event where DCU were presenting on how they were using AR in their library, but that is about the extent of my knowledge of AR.

After the HEA event I did talk to a couple of our more techy members of staff about doing something that the students could use out on School Placement, virutal teaching packs possibly and while there was initial enthusiasm, nothing came of it.

 I still think it could be a good idea - especially now that so many students seem to have smart phones, though I am always wary that we could be excluding the few that don't have access to the internet at home or have smart phones.

I have put together a very, very simple layar test page here I will definitely be playing around with this one a bit when I have more time - but I am up against the clock trying to finish all my things by Sunday night! This was a fun thing, except that I could not do it in work at lunchtime because I could absolute not get Layar to work on my PC!



1 comment:

  1. Hi. You have touched on an interesting aspect of technology: equal access. We cannot assume that everyone has a smartphone, or if they do, we cannot assume they have credit/data plan to suit. One way to deal with this is to make sure that whatever you are offering through the AR mechanism, it is also fully available for others through more traditional means.

    The Rudai23 Team

    ReplyDelete